Berries and cream lovers (everyone?), this one’s for you! Today we’re sharing this recipe by Amanda Macguire of Pickles N Honey: a decadent berry fudge with a creamy coconut butter swirl, and a new super herb you’re going to want to keep on your radar.
Nicknamed “the beauty berry,” schizandra has a gorgeous vibrant purple/pink color, an abundance of antioxidants, and it’s also believed to be an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. Schizandra has been widely used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years, and for very good reason: it’s thought to support everything from adrenal function and our response to stress, to digestive and skin health (hence “the beauty berry” nickname).
If you’re curious to try schizandra berry, REBBL’s new Schizandra Berries & Creme Elixir is a most delicious way to harness this super herb. The flavor is fruity and tart thanks to the combination of fresh blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, banana, and elderberries. It’s lightly sweetened with forest honey and scented with vanilla beans, making it especially perfect as a midday pick-me-up that’s naturally caffeine-free.
Berries & Creme Freezer Fudge
Super herb berry fudge rippled with a coconut butter swirl, then topped with freeze-dried fruit “sprinkles.” This vegan fudge is over-the-top decadent, all without processed sugar or dairy!
PREP TIME: 1 hour 10 mins
SERVES: one 4″ x 8″ dish
For the berries & creme layer:
- ½ cup REBBL Schizandra Berries & Creme
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- ¼ cup creamy salted cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pink pitaya powder (optional, for color)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the coconut butter swirl:
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, gently warmed to help it mix in
- 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil, liquid but not hot
- small pinch sea salt
- freeze-dried raspberries, whole and crushed
- freeze-dried blueberries, whole and crushed
- Line a 4″ x 8″ baking dish with plastic wrap and set it aside.
- Blend all of the berries & creme layer ingredients together in your blender until smooth. Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth out the top.
- In a small bowl, make the coconut butter swirl by stirring together the warmed coconut butter, coconut oil, and salt. It should be the consistency of a drippy nut butter for easy swirling. Pour the mixture on top of the berry layer and use a knife to swirl it throughout.
- Sprinkle the freeze-dried fruit on top. Freeze for 1 hour, or until completely solid. Slice the fudge into squares and enjoy!
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. For best and creamiest texture, allow to soften slightly (about 5 minutes) before serving.